Cultural Competency Online Course
Cultural competence training and cultural awareness is of paramount importance for those working in any international or clinical setting. Those participating abroad are immersed in a culture different from their own and will undoubtedly experience culture shock and cultural adjustment. Furthermore, those in any clinical setting must understand language barriers, how to work with translators, cultural differences, cultural understanding, and trust, among other cultural concerns.
Unite For Sight's priority is to ensure that our volunteers understand their personal impact on those in clinical and international settings. All Unite For Sight Global Impact Fellows are required to complete this Cultural Competency Online Course.
This course is freely and publicly available. It is also part of the Certificate in Cultural Competency as well as the Certificate Program in Global Health Practice. Enroll in the Cultural Competency Certificate Program Through Global Health University or Enroll in the Certificate Program in Global Health Practice Through Global Health University.
- Module 1: Culture and the Volunteer
- Module 2: Overview of Cultural Adjustment and Culture Shock
- Module 3: Coping With Culture Shock and Emotional Feelings
- Module 4: Ethnocentrism
- Module 5: Slower Pace and Elastic Time
- Module 6: Language Barriers and Working With Translators
- Module 7: Cultural Differences and Cultural Understanding
- Module 8: The Importance of Social Etiquette
- Module 9: Cultural Beliefs About Service
- Module 10: Trust and Cultural Humility
- Module 11: Reverse Culture Shock