International Volunteer Opportunities Details
Details for Chennai, India
May 1-30; May 1-10; May 10 - May 30; June 1-30; July 1-31; August 1-15; August 15-30 (volunteers may participate in more than 1 session)
- There are an estimated 45 million blind people and 135 million visually impaired people worldwide.
- 80% of blindness is preventable or curable.
- There are 8.9 million blind people in India. 23.5% of the world's blind live in India.
- There are 11,000 ophthalmologists, which is 1 ophthalmologist per 95,414 people.
- Cataract blindness affects 5.3% of adults over the age of 50.
- 62.4% of bilateral blindness in adults over the age of 50 is due to cataract, which can be cured.