International Volunteer Opportunities Details
Details for Indian Himalayas, India
October 22 - November 4
Unite For Sight's volunteer team will work with Dr. Salil Kumar of Simla Sanitarium and Hospital. The team will trek to the Himalayas from Shimla and provide a 1-week remote surgical eye camp sponsored by Unite For Sight. Volunteers will participate in all aspects of the camp, including screening visual acuity, observing cataract surgery, distributing eyeglasses prescribed by Dr. Kumar, and testing postoperative visual acuity.
Accommodation will be provided in dormitories for free, and food usually costs $100 for 1 week, including eating out.
A Power Point Presentation created by Dr. Salil about a previous program by Simla Sanitarium & Hospital and Unite For Sight
- There are an estimated 45 million blind people and 135 million visually impaired people worldwide.
- 80% of blindness is preventable or curable.
- There are 8.9 million blind people in India. 23.5% of the world's blind live in India.
- There are 11,000 ophthalmologists, which is 1 ophthalmologist per 95,414 people.
- Cataract blindness affects 5.3% of adults over the age of 50.
- 62.4% of bilateral blindness in adults over the age of 50 is due to cataract, which can be cured.