International Volunteer Opportunities Details
Details for Accra, Ghana
September 1-30; October 1-31; November 1-30; December 1-30 (volunteers may participate in more than 1 session)
- There are an estimated 45 million blind people and 135 million visually impaired people worldwide.
- 80% of blindness is preventable or curable.
- There are 48 qualified optometrists in Ghana, with 1 optometrist per 396,000 people.
- There are 43 ophthalmologists in Ghana, with 1 ophthalmologist per 442,000 people.
- Some regions, such as Tamale, have 1 ophthalmologist per 2 million people.
- Around 50% of blindness in sub-Saharan Africa is due to cataract.
- Approximately 7.1% of the world's blind people live in sub-Saharan Africa